Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Ciao Milano! (Part 1 O:)

Well, I've just got three papers, two group presentations, some field studies, and a couple big tests out of the way, so it's about time for me to write a blog. Sheesh. I don't think my grades are going to be too amazing this term. :/ It's really hard to keep up with everything-- especially when they pile it all on you at once. >.> I don't feel too upset about it though, because I really feel like I'm learning a lot either way. Anywho, Milan! A few things I noticed:


- Italy is not as homogenous as Denmark. Yes, fashion is a big thing, but there are punks, skaters, leather-lovers, hip-slouchy-pant-wearers and quite the variety of fashion in Milan. Denmark also has quite the style & I love it (Minus some of those weird neutrals. Pale pink rose with dusty peach? Yuck.), but the culture is very homogenous and so everyone's style is a kind of combination of big, fluffy (yet well-fitted) sweaters, leggings and leather jackets.

- The food is not what you'd think it would be. I guess Italy is where cold-cuts come from?? (Too lazy to research this right now) I've never been served a plate of straight up lunch meat before. 'Twas good, but very unexpected.

- They have yogurt gelato! Just was my lactose intolerant tummy needs. :) I also had pear sorbet for the first time and it was DELICIOUS. I hope I can find that again someday.

- They are at a loss of what to do about parking in Milan. Sometimes people just stop their car in the road, turn their hazard lights on and then run inside to get whatever they need to get done because there's just simply not enough space for all those euro-cars.

- Italians are noisy like us Americans and also very kind. (Really, they are so approachable and polite! I never felt embarressed to be a tourist at all.) Makes it much easier to ramble off to your friends on the train without constantly worrying if your voice is too loud. (Danes just have a lower volume I guess, haha.)

- So maaany caaarrrbs!!! Exhausted little me with mah meat:


I think I'll start off with the first thing that comes to mind: the flight. This picture doesn't do the view I had of this justice, but it's literally one of the most beautiful things I have EVER seen. We all had to wake up at like 5am for the flight so for most of it we all just passed out. However, towards the end I started to wake up and when I happened to look out the window my breath was literally taken away. There were snow-capped mountains as far as the eye could see. God, I want to climb them all! It was so so incomprehensibly beautiful. Tears filled my eyes at the overwhelming awe I felt. Nature is magnificent! I love it!:


During our time in Milan we had a lot of academic visits planned. However when you're getting hardly any sleep because there's so much to do and you're overstimulated by an entirely new environment, new language, trying to find where you need to eat, sleep, go, learn etc., no matter how interested you are, after sitting down to listen for about five minutes, you are out with the rest of the class. (I felt so ashamed about it, like I was being incredibly rude to this top researchers who were trying to share their valuable knowledge with us, but when I looked around I just felt like laughing at the how much everyone's expressions mirrored my own exhaustion.) I think the only thing I really learned from my academic sessions was that happiness is viewed differently in different cultures. Well that's nice.


We did go to this one place that dealt with alternative healing methods involving positive psychology which used more Eastern views. The school was called Ayurveda...something. You can learn about the theory more here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayurveda which I will also do when I have the time... One of their treatments involved this giant wooden table where the client would lie down and have warm, scented oils poured onto their forhead in a rhythmic motion. It's supposed to be a very spiritual experience. I'd sure give it a try. The place also had lots of yoga and meditation type therapies.


During one of our days there we went to see the Last Supper by Leonardo Da Vinci. I had no idea it was in Milan and I was very excited to see it as I've read the Da Vinci Code twice and have heard about all of the "secret" messages it carries endlessly. There were no pictures allowed and the ones online really don't do it justice. The painting is HUGE. 15x30ft about and it was so well-done that it looked almost 3D. Just beautiful. I love the silence that such historically unique things overcome you with. I think the weight of the history and the life behind the hands that created such a large masterpiece just kind of shut you up if you have any comprehension of reality. Yet again, breathtaking.


The final thing that took my breath away was Duomo Di Milano. It's the second largest Catholic cathedral and the largest gothic cathedral in the world and boy is it large. We went to this place a lot because most of the food and shopping was situated around the cathedral area. Everytime I emerged from the subway to see it towering ahead of me in all of its detailed, gigantic glory, I'd be overcome with excitment and awe. Every single time, haha. After much persistance and um... reminding by me, I managed to find time climb to the roof with my buddies and get a wonderful view of the city. It was a wonderful experience.


More soon!


- Jenn

1 comment: