Thursday, January 20, 2011

Brr.

Over the past several days I've been settling into my new home. My host mom is just so happy all of the time. She and Linnea are also very close. It kind of makes me sad that such good things are so foreign and strange to me, but I'm happy to be experiencing it right now.I feel very welcomed and comfortable here. I've been pretty nervous about doing the whole host family thing again after the crap that went down in Japan, but based on experiences other people have had with their host families, I know giving it another try is definitely not a bad idea.

As I was walking home from the train station I was thinking about how much easier and just... nicer it's been this time around so far. I've instantly met many new friends, I'm welcomed here everyday, and have a lot of support through the DIS program. My host family also doesn't make assumptions about me and seem to be open and accepting. Sometimes they look at something I'm doing that's apparently strange (what don't I do that's strange? lol) and ask "Is that something Americans do you or is it just you?" and then we all laugh. I love that they ask me that. :) It's really hard to open up and make myself so vulnerable again and again, but I know that's a huge part of growing as a person, making sweet memories, and truly connecting with other wonderful people, so I'm doing my best despite how paralyzingly terrified I feel sometimes. But yeah. It's only been five days since I got here so I'll try not to get ahead of myself, haha.

Anyway, a something I've noticed: despite the icey, gray winter outside, the Danes seem to keep the inside of their homes/buildings very cozy (and amazingly decorated, too! It's so cool!). I've noticed they also really, really like candles. My room has tealights all over the place. I was told by one of the Danish professors that the candles are supposed to traditionally "chase away the dark of winter". I love the romantic calm of it and definitely want to bring this part of the culture back to the states.


This morning the sun decided to show itself for the first time since I arrived and it was beautiful:



Since Monday, I've been going through orienation at school. There are 700 students here from the US. Usually we spend a few hours in the morning listening to information about extracurricular activites, living with a host family etc, the Danish culture, and then are sent away on 3-6 hour scavenger hunts throughout Copenhagen. We all end up grouping with random people and searching around for grocery stores, DIS buildings, libraries etc. It's pretty fun, but veeery cold. Unless I wear the wool hiking socks my mom got me, all my toes are numb by the time we finish. >.> The first day we all ended up in H&M and drinking too much coffee to keep warm. And everyday I regret drinking coffee because not only is it at least $7 for a cheap cup, but I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack and die once the caffine kicks in. But it's just so warm and delicious that I buy it again anyway. >.<

Here's some of the places I've been exploring on my long scavenger hunts:





This is at the changing of the guard at the royal palace. I love their hats! (And yes, he's pissed.) If you get too close they'll slam their guns on the ground. It's so loud and scares the crap out of everyone nearby. If you get too, too close apparently they'll just wack you with them. Ouch.
























Danishes! Sooo tasty!




































I really can't wait to get settled into a nice routine with school, friends, host family, travel etc. (although I'm dreading the several research papers looming ahead). Yesterday I just found out that I'm not actually going to Scotland like I thought. I'm going to Italy instead! :O Definitely can't complain there. I think all of my classes are going to be very hands on which I'm very excited about. Reading text and then getting tested on the text is so... lame. Class here is actually scheduled Monday & Tuesday, and Thursday & Friday, with Wednesday being saved for the many field studies my classes have in which we'll be going on field trips to museums, listening to guest speakers, going to the redlight district, and even to gay bars (with spending money to buy beer!) to interview gay Danish men about their views of homosexuality in Scandinavia. I can't wait for all of the learning ahead of me! So excited! :)

2 comments:

  1. omg I cannot express how greatly jealous I am of you. Japan SUCKS in comparison to Denmark. Not only are my classes so boringly not hands on and only learn for the test, but we don't have cool guards that will whack people either! Or buildings with giant falic spikes!! T.T

    I am very happy that you are having such a great time though! I hope it continues on in this positive manner!

    Loves!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE scavenger hunts! That's so cool you have to do them at school! And to get spending money to go to gay bars! Wow! I didn't realize Denmark had palaces. That's so cool. I'd love to seem some poor guy get smacked by a guard haha I'm horrible =P Does your host family speak Dnglish? Do you speak Danish yet? <3

    ReplyDelete