Monday, January 24, 2011

Exploring

Well, it's been a busy first week here in Denmark. During my classes many of us American students have been asked why we decided to pick this little country among so many others as the one we would reside in for the next six months. One of the reasons many people gave was that they want to know why the Danish are so happy. This country is constantly ranked the happiest in the world after all. Today I got to watch this video clip of a 60 Minutes special that explains Danish culture and its relation to happiness very well. It's really good:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4181996n&tag=related;photovideo


One of the things in the video that touched me was the theory that Danes have low expectations, therefore they are rarely disappointed and more content with life. After various difficult experiences in my own life I have ended up thinking the same thing and I believe I even mention it in an earlier entry. If I expect nothing from anyone and only truly rely on myself, I will not be disappointed over and over. Honestly, I don't feel like this is a pessimistic way of thinking for me. I think it's simply realistic. I expect nothing and hope for the best because despite anyone's good intentions, we are all at least a little selfish and have to look out for ourselves. When I had changed my thinking to this, I began noticing my good experiences more often than the bad ones. If someone did something kind to me, I was much more joyous about it because I had not expected their kindness at all. Perhaps it's a part of why I am so happy all of the time nowadays?


Anyway, I'm not trying to create some debate on the philosphy of life and happiness and it doesn't mean I tolerate being disrespected either. These are just passing thoughts as I connect with the world around me. I really want to understand this country I live in and make it a part of my life.

On Saturday, after a crazy smokey night at a night club (with free booze!) full of 699 other twenty-year-old drunk and horny DIS students, my host mom took my sleepy self to Christiania. This is a sort of state within a state or a really large commune in the middle of Copenhagen. Basically, it's full of hippies who made the place they started out squatting in, which use to be an abandoned military base, their permanent home. It started out as a kind of societal experiment and it's been around for over 40 years, but it's on valuable land and right now decisions on if it should last are going up to the highest court in Denmark.

Picture time!:



This is the chart of rules Christiania goes by. It started out as more of an anarchist commune, but that led to various problems so now hard drugs, private vehicles, weapons, violence, biker colors (Copenhagen is having a lot of problems with Hell's Angels right now. Who knew?) etc. are no longer allowed.


















A simple shop that looked completely awesome inside. Another example of how the Danish make sure the inside of their homes etc have a unique and cozy atmosphere.

















Everything, and I mean everything is covered in graffiti. It's pretty intense sometimes.
















The main entrance. How quaint. :)












And a lot of the graffiti was beautiful too.

















The government has tapped all phone lines to prevent hard drug trade and marijuana from being sold outside of Christiania.















"The dream that never dies. Longing for freedom."











Over the river that goes through Christiania with my host mom. It was completely frozen over! (and I nearly was too. >.>) Never seen that before!










The Swedish embassy in Christiania because apparently the Sweds who come there tend to drink/smoke too much and cause trouble. Didn't expect that did you?




I really enjoyed my time there and I think my host mom had a good time too. It was definitely a great and enlightening experience even though during the best part you weren't allowed to take pictures. That was on Pusher Street. All the buildings were spray painted that colorful psychedelic way. There was even a 10ft memorial painting of Nataja, a singer who had been friends with many of the people who lived in Christiania, but died at about my age in a car crash in Jamaica. There were large dogs running around, people huddled by scattered fire barrels and several stands selling large (and I mean large) amounts of pot and hash. The atmosphere had that sweet air of wildness I absolutely revel in. I think it's really interesting to imagine what it would be like to live in such a tight-knit community where things are traded and everyone just chills out, smokes pot, paints the walls and lives for freedom. Perhaps I'm getting too unrealistic, haha.

This Wednesday I'm excited because I'll be going there again with my Danish language class. And this time, I'll be wearing my wool hiking socks. I forgot wear them on Saturday and I thought my toes were going to fall off.

Peace!

4 comments:

  1. nice article, exept the part with the taxes. its not true we pay tax as individuals as well as the registered shops and bars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natasja Saad was not Jamaican, but a famous Danish rapper and reggae singer who grew up in Copenhagen (she had a Danish mother and a Sudanese father). Most of her songs were in Danish, but she also sang in English.
    In 2006 she won the big annual reggae contest Irie FM Big Break Contest in Jamaica with the song 45 Questions. She was the first ever non Jamaican winner of the contest.
    A year later at another visit to Jamaica she was killed in a car crash. Her best friend another Danish singer Karen Mukupa was in the car too, but was relatively unhurt. Natasja is buried at Assistens KirkegÄrd, Copenhagen's cemetery for artistic and pioneering personalities.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natasja_Saad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it called Chistiania because of the religion? Is pot legal in Denmark? Does everyone smoke it? Do you smoke it? lol Not that I think less of anyone who does I just never had, it's foreign to me. <3

    ReplyDelete