Sunday, January 16, 2011

Here I am~

I've arrived in Copenhagen, Denmark. It's pretty cold and grey here, and the ground is covered with with random piles of that dirty left-over snow. It's not the prettest place in the dead of winter. However, those dark, skeleton-like trees are everywhere so I have a feeling spring will be full of beautiful blossoms (hopefully minus the allergies). There's also a large park behind my new home that leads directly to the beach of a sea I don't know the name of. I can't wait to explore the area and go running, too.

My 16 hour flight went pretty well. I managed to sleep through most of the first half due to the exhausted state I seem to magically keep myself in 24/7. Landing in Chicago was pretty cool. The ground was a white I've never seen before.



My next flight to Amsterdam was also pretty cool. So many little things happened during those 16 hours that are what I think make travel so great, but I can't remember most of them now because I was too tired to write last night. However, I do remember the flight attendant chic who's hair was done mini-super sayan style. Pretty damn cool if you ask me. I tried not to stare, I really did, but everytime she walked by Vegeta popped into my head and I couldn't pull my eyes away. As we landed there, I looked outside and the sea was filled with giant windmills. Seriously, these things are at least 100ft high. It looked really cool.

Another silly little thing I remember happened when I arrived in Copenhagen. The airport floor in the baggage claim area was incredibly smooth in a slippery sort of way and I had decided to load my baggage into a cart while I walked to the area where I would be picked up instead of carrying it all. Well, I happened to go down a little hill. The floor was so slippery that I couldn't stop the weight of the cart from speeding down the hill so I ended up being dragged along, awkwardly sliding down the hill with my cart and my legs stuck straight down in front of me all the while laughing because I felt so ridiculous. Good times.

I've met my host family and they seem very kind. My host mom, Dorte, is 48, divorced and has a daughter, Linnea, who is 14. They get along so well and the lack of tension in this home is very foreign in a relaxing way I welcome with open arms. I don't want to jinx myself, but I think things will go pretty well with us. Japan has taught me a lot of lessons I won't have relearn the hard way and I'm thankful for the ease of my first couple days. And look at my room! It's so cozy and cool! I even have wireless internet. :) (That stuffed dog scared the crap out of me at first every time I walked into my room because I kept thinking it was real... >.>)


So here I am living in Denmark, the happiest country in the world where Lego and the Little Mermaid were created. The divorce rate is 35%, their gender equality is ranked as one of the best in the world despite the fact the 90% of the highest government employees are male. They have no national debt and there's pretty blue eyeballs paired with shockingly real blonde hair everywhere. Right now we have about seven hours of daylight a day. Yes, the sun does set at about three-thirty. By May, we will have seventeen hours of daylight a day.

Crazy, no?

3 comments:

  1. Omg i'm so excited for you! I hope you're host family is as rad as mine is! I wish I could come visit you! How I long to go to Europe (stupid bad decisions always getting in the way of what I really want to do). Let's go back-packing through Europe together soon, kk?? XD

    And don't be shy with the pictures!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jambly! :) I wish you could come visit me too! I'm sure you will go to Europe someday & I better be right there with you! XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry =/ I know I'm late on posting about your life. I just recently have a lot of time on my hands. What is a mini-super sayan hair style. Your trip down the baggage ramp had me laughing out loud ^_^ And when I saw that picture of the dog (before I started reading) I thought it was real too! lol I was gonna be like awww a puppy haha. <3

    ReplyDelete