Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The wind would blow me away if I hadn't been eating so much nutella lately.

Just when I think it can't get any colder, the wind wind kicks in. Ladies and gentleman, the wind chill is -17 degrees celcius with gusts of up to 45km/hr. No wonder the skin on my face and hands feels like it's going to burn right off. It hurts... but I am really figuring out how to layer now. Two socks, two pants, three shirts, two jackets etc. And I'm learning how to do it in hip euro-style too! Yay! :)


A couple days ago my host mom and I went on a walk so I could see that beach I have yet to explore even though it's a five minute walk behind the house. (Too cold man, toooo cold.) It's going to be a great place to run once it warms up a bit. I can't wait for spring!

In the first picture you can see Copenhagen in the distance:





I really enjoy the relationship I'm building with my host mom. I feel so comfortable around her and like I'm truly being listened to. Her happiness is absolutely infectious and we can talk about all sorts of things. The way she sticks to her beliefs yet keeps an open mind is really admirable, too. Most nights after dinner we just hang out on the couch drinking tea with the fire going and the tealights all aglow while I do my homework and she watches the news. It's absolute "hygge". This term is a huge part of the Danish culture and pretty much means "coziness" or "tranquility". It encompasses those good feelings you get while you sit around a bonfire on a midsummer night having a couple drinks with the people you care about dearly. Good times. :)


Valentine's Day came and went very nicely. I actually kind of forgot about it because there isn't red, heart-shaped junk for sale all over the place. The Danish don't really celebrate Valentine's Day although some couples do like to do little things for each other sometimes. The only thing I noticed once that was Valentine's-like was a flower shop with red balloons that said "I love you" on them. I recieved a huge lovely package full of candy hearts, see's chocolate, hot chocolate, heart shaped marshmellows... I could go on... all from my mom. I couldn't believe how much was in that box, lol. She put a lot of thought into it, too. My host mom and sister also got me chocolates and tea which was also very sweet. I am very loved. :)




- Jenn <3

4 comments:

  1. You're host mom sounds amazing! I too am able to be completely at ease with my host mom, although when it comes to communication it's a tad bit more difficult (damn language barriers lol).

    Keep posting pictures!! That hot chocolate looks amazing which concerns me cuz i HATE marshmallows lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, well that's good! I'm sure your Japanese is amazing by now, haha.

    Thanks for the comments! I loves them. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. slightly jealous of you and your host momma lol
    and your hot cocoa pic reallllly makes me wish i bought some of those marshmallows for myself.
    maybe next year lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw cute! Are those heart shaped marshmallows? Sorry, lol I'm an overly mushy gushy valentine's day loving freak lol If I were away I'd make sure to spread the holiday cheer on uber thick haha. You'd probably hate me then =P. Oh I meant to ask you..what kinds of things do you do that make your host mom ask if it's an Americana thing? So curious! <3

    ReplyDelete